Thursday, May 29, 2008

Get Health Insurance or... Die?

Probably not quite literally, but I think the fines are enough to give someone a heart attack. Fines can add up $912.00 a year -- that's $912.00 I can't afford to pay. With gas prices going in the direction that they are, I could really use that money to fill my tank; for one month. So obviously, I should probably get health insurance. Simple no?

Not exactly.

I had no idea how expensive this stuff actually was. The cheapest rate I could find was through BlueCross for $215.00 a month. That's $2,580.00 a year of coverage that doesn't offer very much. Not to mention, more likely than not, I won't be using the coverage either. Thank God, I don't have any serious health issues (knock on wood). It's almost tempting to just pay the fines and fore-go buying insurance.

Never-the-less, I did my research and started looking up plans. As I continued to look through, doubts began to fill my mind. You know what I'm talking about... The "what if" factor kicks in.

Well, what if I need to go to the doctor? And what if an emergency happens? So you start looking at bigger, more costly plans. Before you know it, you're second guessing yourself into $400.00 a month plans because you're so worried that you may contract the bubonic plague with a mild UTI and need immediate coverage.

I bet you're all wondering why I don't just acquire insurance through my employer. As yes, a job should provide this kind of thing, yeah?

No.

Part-time employees currently do not have this option at my new job. Don't get me wrong, I love my new job and am so incredibly happy that they value my degree and the knowledge I posses through it. This could possibly be the one and only down-fall to the entire job. It's fallen on my shoulders (hopefully not too hard, I don't have insurance -- bad joke I know, but it was screaming at me to be said) and now I need to do the research to find a suitable yet affordable insurance.

I don't remember signing up for this part of adulthood. I just wanted all the perks of being a college graduate. Always read the fine print... What a nasty trick.

So my search continues and in the meant time, I'd better go on carefully and make sure I don't break anything.

No comments: